There were several big news stories related to Downton Abbey in the last week so we thought we’d round them up into one big article so you can get the latest on this hit show.
SPOILERS for the season three and light plot details for season 4
First Official Promo Picture Released
The first official promotional picture has been released and shows Lady Mary holding her Baby, dressed in mourning clothing.
Siobhan Finneran Leaves the Show
The actress who plays the scheming Lady’s Maid Ms. O’Brien has decided not to return for Series 4. She will be written out of the show offscreen. I don’t think many people will shed a tear about the most unlikable character on the show.
New Cast Members Announced
Carnival Films, the producers behind the show, have also announced 6 new major characters for the next series. They are:
- Tom Cullen as Lord Gillingham, an old family friend of the Crawleys who visits the family as a guest for a house party
- Nigel Harman as Green, a new valet
- Dame Harriet Walter as Lady Shackleton, an old friend of the Dowager
- Joanne David in a guest role as the Duchess of Yeovil
- Julian Ovenden as aristocrat Charles Blake
- Dame Kiri Te Kanawa as a guest who sings in the house
It’s rumored that Tom Cullen will be Lady Mary’s new love interest as he seeks to comfort her in mourning the death of her husband.
6 Months Later
It’s also been reported that the show will pick up 6 months after the death of Matthew (with a coda at the beginning showing the funeral).
Downton Abbey will return to UK TV screens this fall (probably September) and to US screens in January 2014 on PBS Masterpiece.
Set Photos of Shooting
Shooting for Downton Series 4 is underway through England, especially in the Oxfordshire village of Bampton. Here’s some set photos – I would avert your eyes if you’re sensitive to SPOILERS.
Source: Daily Mail.