Wither it’s a slumber party or a bad break up, the chick flick is every girls stand by film. Chick flicks, or girly movies as my husband calls them, sometimes makes us laugh, cry and always cheer for the heroine. Britain has put out some absolutely fantastic chick-flicks in the past decade.
Without further ado ladies, here are my top ten British chick flicks:
1. Bridget Jones’ Diary: I never good sick of seeing this film. It has the perfect combination to be the ultimate British chick flick, cheating boyfriend, drinking, breakups and a happy ending. It think this movie is so successful as a chick flick because, Bridget vocalizes what most women are thinking. We can relate to her blunders and successes.
2.An Education: My husband and I went to go see this film while it was in the theater and I LOVED it! This is a story about a suburban British teenager coming into her own. The acting is superb. I cried and laughed, and wanted to be the main character so many times. This is a must see chick flick!
3. Bend It Like Beckham: This film has been around for a while, but it always feels fresh and fun every time I watch it. It is a unique look into life as a teenager of Indian immigrants, and see the cultural differences between generations. The steamy Jonathan Rhys Myers is also in this film. It is heartwarming and fun.
4. Love Actually; I originally saw this film in the theaters too, my husband and I counted the days until this film came out on DVD. This flick has it all, hilarious moments, and times that make you want to use an entire box of tissue. This film also contains a wedding scene which equates to bonus chick flick points.
5. Four Weddings and A Funeral; This movie has also been around for a while. What chick flick could be better than a movie containing four weddings! this film is heart warming and a must have for the British chick flick collector.
6. The Holiday; The basic concept of this film is a house swap by two women, one being Kate Winslet and the other Cameron Diaz. One lives in Hollywood, the other lives in a charming British cottage. There is a scene where Cameron Diaz’s character goes to the store and buys wine, after arriving in the UK… Hilarious!!! This movie is the perfect chick flick!
7. Atonement; This is another chick flick gem. The love story in this film starts with a steamy affair and then goes horribly wrong. The film is set against the backdrop of World War II Britain. A classic and beautiful love story.
8. Pride and Prejudice; This film is the retelling of the famous Jane Austen novel. It is filmed beautifully in period detail. Keira Nightly’s performance of the very spirited Lizzy is fantastic. This is the ultimate love story.
9. Calendar Girls; This is a funny yet heart warming chick flick about a group of older women and their quest to raise money for charity. This film was based on a true story. Very touching and fun, a great chick flick.
10. Wimbledon: This film was not wildly popular here in the United States, and I cannot figure out why. A great love story, dabbled in with a disapproving father. This film obviously has tennis intertwined in it too.
Which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments!